What could possibly be better than one birthstone? Two birthstones! For those June babies we have two stones, moonstone and pearl! Let us tell you a little more about each and you can take your pick…or let’s be honest rock them both!
Magical Facts about Moonstones:
- Romans believed moonstone was derived from solidified rays of the moon
- many believe this stone cultivates compassion + empathy
- one of the first sources of high-quality moonstone was the city of St. Gotthard in Switzerland
- member of the feldspar mineral family
- the beautiful sheen, called adularescence, is caused by light reflecting off of the feldspar within the stone
- 6.0 - 6.5 on the Moh’s Hardness Scale
- we source our moonstones from Sri Lanka + India
Lustrous Facts about Pearls:
- the oldest written mention of pearls was in 2206 BC
- believed to be the stone of purity, wisdom + loyalty
- 2.5 - 3.0 on the Moh’s Hardness Scale
- we work with Keshi pearls which can only be found in the sea of Japan
- nacre produces the luster that pearls exume
- Keshi pearls can take up to 7 years to develop
How to Care For Your Moonstone or Pearl:
Keep your moonstone and pearl fine jewelry pieces in tip top shape with proper storage and regular cleanings. When it comes to storage the same rules apply to both - keep the stones separate from your other pieces to avoid scratching. Our jewelry box and travel clutch are the perfect accessories for any jewelry owner.
Cleaning your moonstone or pearl has different rules! Moonstone is much more durable and can withstand scrubbing with the soft toothbrush that comes with our jewelry cleaning kit.
When cleaning your pearl it’s best to use warm water and only soft cloth to wipe off the surface. Using the soft toothbrush can cause scratching.
Shop Your June Birthstone With Us
Here’s a few of our moonstone and pearl faves to celebrate your June babe! But if you want to take matters into your own hands, you can create a piece with our Custom Moonstone Ring option.