Do you know a May babe, maybe you’re one yourself, or you’re green with envy wishing emerald was your birthstone! Learn a little bit more about emeralds and their history, and shop some of our favorite pieces.
Sparkly Facts About Emeralds:
- comes from the Greek word “smaragdus”, which means green
- ancient folklore says putting an emerald under your tongue could help you see into the future
- lapidaries would stare at emeralds to help soothe their strained eyes
- earliest emerald mines were in Egypt
- Cleopatra was known as emerald's biggest fan and even owned all of the emerald mines in Egypt
- 7.5 - 8 on the Moh’s Hardness Scale
- the green color comes from the presence of chromium
- emeralds are a beryl gemstone
- our emeralds are sourced from Brazil, Colombia + Zambia
How to Care For Your Emerald:
Even though emeralds have a high rating on the Moh’s Hardness Scale, we still want to wear our emeralds with care. We highly recommend removing your jewelry while doing any sort of manual work like gardening, washing dishes or working out. And remember to store them separate from your other jewelry to avoid scratching.
Cleaning Your Emeralds
And don’t forget to clean your jewelry to keep it bright and sparkly. You can wipe off the emerald with a lint-free cloth and warm water, or try our own jewelry cleaning kit that comes with a cleaning solution and a soft toothbrush. But never submerge your emerald in other jewelry cleaners or solutions.
Shop Your Birthstone With Us
Honor your fellow May babe, or yourself, with some of our handcrafted emerald fine jewelry pieces.