Opals are definitely one of the more mysterious and magical gemstones out there. Makes sense that it’s the birthstone for the month of October! Learn more about how to care for this delicate + beautiful gemstone, and pick the perfect gift for your October babe!
Magical Facts about Opal:
- the gem of hope, purity, & truth
- Romans thought it to be the most precious + powerful stone because it contains colors of all other gems
- the first opal was found in India
- measures between a 5 to 6.5 on the Moh’s Scale of Hardness
- we mainly source from Australia + Ethiopia
- made up of a silicon dioxide and water solution
- rainwater runs down through the earth, picks up silica from sandstone, & carries this solution into cracks. as the water evaporates, it leaves behind a silica deposit. this cycle repeats over long periods of time forming opals
How to Care For Your Opals
Keep your opal jewelry pieces in tip top shape with proper storage and regular cleanings. When it comes to storage, keep your opals separate from your other pieces to avoid scratching. Our jewelry box and travel clutch are the perfect accessories for any jewelry owner. We strongly recommend leaving your opal jewelry at home if you’re going to be in extreme heat, extra dry conditions, and near water. And take off your opal pieces before putting on lotion or perfume, and if you’re going to be handling any sort of harsh chemicals.
Cleaning Your Pieces
Opals are safe to clean with our Jewelry Cleaning Kit. Just gently scrub with a soft toothbrush, a small amount of lukewarm water, and mild soap. Never fully submerge the opal in jewelry cleaner or liquid.
Shop Your Birthstone With Us
Here’s a few of our fave handcrafted opal pieces to celebrate your October babe!