Give a pop of color to your fave December babe with their birthstones, turquoise and tanzanite. With a rich history and incredible matrix, we consider these gemstones some of the most unique birthstones. Learn a little more about December’s birthstones and the fine jewelry pieces we offer!
Terrific Facts About Turquoise:
- one of the earliest stones used for jewelry
- given its blue color from the presence of copper, and its green color from the presence of iron
- thought to bring good health and fortune and protect from evil
- legend says turquoise was created when tears of joy mixed with rain, and seeped into the earth
- veins that appear on the stone are from remnants of the rock in which the turquoise formed in
- we source our turquoise from Arizona and Nevada, USA
- measures a 5 to 6 on the Moh’s Scale of Hardness
Tremendous Facts About Tanzanite:
- can only be sourced at the base of Mount Kilimanjaro
- first discovered in 1967
- traces of vanadium mixed with extreme heat give the stone its color
- stands out because of its "trichroism", which means it appears to change color from blue to violet when turned in the light
- a spiritual stone that inspires compassion + calmness
- measures a 6 to 7 on the Moh’s Scale of Hardness
How to Care For Your Turquoise + Tanzanite
Keep your turquoise and tanzanite jewelry pieces in tip top shape with proper storage and regular cleanings. When it comes to storage, keep these gemstones separate from your other pieces to avoid scratching. Our jewelry box and travel clutch are the perfect accessories for any jewelry owner.
Cleaning Your Pieces
Turquoise is safe to clean with our Jewelry Cleaning Kit. If you don’t have our cleaning kit yet, just gently scrub with a soft toothbrush, a small amount of lukewarm water, and mild soap. However, since turquoise + tanzanite are softer stones, never put your them in an ultrasonic cleaner.
Shop Your Birthstone With Us
Here’s a few of our fave handcrafted turquoise and tanzanite pieces to celebrate your December babe!